Thursday 17 January 2008

Art Attack.


Yesterday saw the London Art Fair open its doors for the twentieth year to exhibit the work of both British and international modern artists.

The show, as you can imagine is not necessarily for everybody’s tastes.

For those who were expecting Van Gough or Leonardo Da Vinci, I am afraid would have had a wasted trip.

Art and Auction Magazine promised:

"A modern and contemporary art fair where collectors at all levels of experience can browse and mingle in style."

To be honest, looking at the pictures of the work displayed…I can’t see neither art nor style. With everything up for sale, the buyers must have more money than sense.

The first picture that caught my eye was Banksy’s aptly named “Shark and Trolley” and let me tell you, it did exactly what it said on the tin. The painting is of a burning trolley being circled by sharks. Art?

As I kept flicking I came across something that could only be described as ugly. A pencil drawing of…well…I don’t know but it looked like something that had died. Never the less it was created by the apparently ‘great’ Henry Moore. Heard of him? No me neither.

Of course…amongst the monstrosities, there was some rather interesting finds such as Gerald Laing's The Kiss showing Amy Winehouse and husband Blake embracing.

Not art but it was an improvement on everything else I could see.

But one piece that did catch my eye and got me thinking was artwork offered by Russell Young.

Looking at it once, it showed the very famous pictures of Ian Bradey and Myra Hindley after committing the moor’s murders.

However, after taking a second glance I realized it wasn’t what it first appeared but it was in fact Kate Moss and on/off boyfriend Pete Doherty as the evil duo.

To be honest…this baffled me.

Why on earth would such a link be made? Please…What are the similarities between the two couples?

It is sickening.

I literally cannot for the life of me understand such a gesture. To be compared to two of the most evil people of the 20th century has got to be devastating, especially when they both have children of their own.

If this is art then…No thank you, I would rather have Picasso anyday.



The London Art Fair is from 16-20th January at the Business Design Centre, Islington.
www.londonartfair.co.uk