Thursday 10 January 2008

The Slippery Slope of Celebrity


The more I see her on TV or the front of magazines, the more she seems to baffle me.

Kerry Katona was splashed all over the Sunday newspapers once again this week with allegations that she was hit by her mother-in-law at a New Years Eve house-party.

Every week it seems to be something new.

Appearing on This Morning yesterday, the pregnant loud-mouth was talking about her cocaine addiction and how she has overcome it. But has she?

She was quick to suggest that the newspapers would no doubt, once again print that she was on drugs while doing the show and to be honest, I don’t think they would be far wrong.

Now don’t quote me on it but slurring worlds, rolling eyes and her general brash attitude suggested to me that maybe the addiction is not water under the bridge.

The mother of three also swore on her unborn baby’s life that she was attacked by Mark Croft’s mother during their New Year celebrations.

Fit mother? Sure, why not!

In 2005 she won I’m a Celebrity Get Me out of Here! and everything seemed to be going well for the ex-Atomic Kitten star, until she split with husband Brian McFadden.

After the divorce everything seemed to go down hill...Bipolar depression, several stints in rehab and her marriage to Croft has ensured that the star is never out of the media glare.

It was only last year she was involved in a hostage situation when masked men broke into her house, locked her and her youngest daughter Heidi in a room, while Croft showed them to the valuables.

Strange? Yes, I thought so too.

It is a shame…she had the potential to be a house hold name for good rather than "what has she done now?" being the question on everyone’s lips.

But, Kerry Katona isn’t the only one.

More and more celebrities are hitting the top just to slide straight back down to the bottom again.

Maybe it s the media’s fault – we build them up to knock them down. But this has been the reality for many years so what make them think that they are any different?

Kerry Katona, Britney Spears…Who’s next?

It’s sad really.

1 comment:

JTAN said...

I totally agree about that bimbo, the constant adverts for her new MTV1 show are driving me up the wall - the thing is they don't even show her in a good light even by her standards! Just goes to show she'll put her name to anything. I bet she eats eggs from caged chickens! (Well she does advertise ready meals from Iceland, which amasses to the same thing!).

Anyhoo, I had no idea you were a blogger. You're actually a really professional writer (probably a good thing if you're studying Journo lol). No such luck for me, but I've recently got into a rut of writing decent reviews of things over at JamieNewton.me.uk if you're ever in the neighbourhood.